Purpose of School Council
School Council Purpose:
- To improve communication and participation of parents and the community in the management and operation of the school.
- To bring communications and schools closer together in a spirit of cooperation.
- To solve difficult education problems.
- To improve academic achievement.
- To provide support for teachers and administrators.
- To bring parents into the school-based decision-making process.
- To assist the local board of education in developing and nurturing participation.
- To bring parents and the community together with teachers and administrators to create a better understanding of and mutual respect for each other's concerns.
- To share ideas for school improvement.
School Council members must:
- Maintain a school-wide perspective on issues.
- Regularly participate in school council meetings.
- Participate in information and training programs.
- Act as a link between the school council and the community.
- Encourage the participation of parents and others within the school community.
- Work to improve student achievement and performance.